LED Lighting Guide

How Exactly Does a LED Light Work?

outdoor LED lights

LED lighting technology has been around since the early 1960s, but its usage is rapidly growing, and it is fast becoming one of the most energy-efficient lighting forms you can buy.

LED itself stands for ‘Light Emitting Diodes’ and the technology can be found in a whole range of different appliances and fixtures – from alarm clocks to garden lights. Amazingly, traditional incandescent lighting converts a measly 10% of energy output into light, meaning that the remaining 90% is wasted. Meanwhile, LEDs can use up to 80% less energy and can last up to twenty-five times longer, so while they cost more initially they result in huge savings over time.

 

How does LED lighting work?

LED lights contain a diode which controls the flow and direction of electricity through a P-N junction. This junction is formed because of the connection that is made between a P-type electrical semiconductor, that contains carriers with a positive electrical charge, and an N-type electrical semiconductor containing electrons. The diodes are designed and modified to create an electricity flow that is unidirectional, meaning that the electricity is only able to flow from the N-type to the P-type. As this junction is formed, electrons emit photons and move to a lower orbit. By doing so, lost energy from the process produces visible light. Thus, an LED light is formed.

In contrast to other light technologies, such as incandescent or fluorescent lighting, LED creates its light, not in a vacuum or from a gas, but from the solid material that is a semiconductor. As a result, it is known as solid-state lighting and is far more durable than other light forms. This makes the technology particularly popular with outdoor landscape lighting companies. LED lights are also typically built into rounded plastic cases, which concentrates and therefore brightens the light that is emitted, which makes them useful for lighting large spaces within your yard or garden.

What are LED lights used for?

To begin with LEDs were commonly seen in digital clocks, but recently their usage has spread rapidly and they are now found outside of, as well as inside of, the home. In fact, LED landscape lights are now incredibly popular due to the fact that LEDs are particularly hard-wearing, long-lasting and cheap to run.

You can find a wide selection of LED products by visiting the Southern Landscape Lighting Systems’ showroom or by browsing the website. The versatility of LED light means that you will be able to choose from practical lights such as path lights, to more decorative pieces like those found within their speciality range.

 

If you would like to find out more about LED lighting, you can speak to one of the professionals at Southern Landscape Lighting Systems at (678) 324-6842. In addition, if you would like some help picking the perfect garden outdoor LED lights, we are here to guide you towards making the best possible choice for your yard, garden, or home.

Southern Landscape Lighting Systems

Author Southern Landscape Lighting Systems

More posts by Southern Landscape Lighting Systems

Leave a Reply